Wednesday, October 2, 2013

"Thump Thump............"

Beth and I did little last night other than purchasing some groceries in the new Kroger’s, a huge expanse offering far more than just food. She gets lost, has already done battle once with the deli over an error on their part, and wanted me along on this occasion merely for support. Points for what we buy giving us money off our next visit to the gas pump keeps her coming back, her heart still with the smaller proprietor just up the hill from us. Returning home, though, she occupied herself with making a pot of vegetable soup and I piddled around on the computer, “Dancing with the Stars” not my choice of entertainment. Just another day in the neighborhood. Too easy to lose one’s enthusiasm with life. Two old fogies sharing an existence. Christ, however, gives meaning to it all, purpose not just a matter of ministry, reaching out to the kids at the Center and sharing with the men at the mission. Within this old man is a well whose water, since birthed over four decades ago, has never run dry. It is with me in the journey, whether circumstances find me discouraged, disappointed, full of questions, or just plain bored. If retirement from this Elementary Special-Ed job becomes a reality next year, I am not at all ill at ease about whatever the future holds. The beat goes on, as Sonny and Cher once put it, my body growing older, but the melody within my heart is unending, the adventure not over yet……

2 comments:

  1. I consider myself blessed to have made your acquaintance, and to hear your continuing testimony.

    ReplyDelete