Thursday, October 2, 2014

"Compassion...................."

Last night’s mid-week service was more of a rally than anything else, one where all of the usual classes were cancelled for everyone to gather in the main sanctuary, united in common ministry: this Friday and Saturday’s two-day outreach “Hope Over Heroin”. Many there were wearing the bright neon yellow t-shirts imprinted with such slogan. Spirits were joined in enthusiasm for the goal before them: singing, preaching, witnessing, and praying on the inner-city streets with any and all seeking help concerning an addiction. Compared to our normal Sunday evening crowd, we were small in number. The pews were no more than three-quarters full. Our pastor was preaching elsewhere, having given full support to such event, but handing the reins over to an under-associate whose history involves an escape from drugs maybe a decade ago. My own emotions were mixed on this occasion, having been here before. This is not my first time to see some within the church “burn with fire” about an upcoming event taking the Gospel beyond the front doors. I’ve walked the ghetto area of Cincinnati late at night on earlier occasions, scaled the stairs of the tenements to knock on doors, and followed the Holy Ghost’s tug on my heart for five years within an outreach congregation birthed by another fellow. Such call is part of my identity in Christ. Experience has taught me, though, that “delivery”, on any grand scale, is a journey, one involving commitment. There is no magic wand. The problem, humanity as it exists, doesn’t get healed with merely a two-day meeting. I was pleased, therefore, to hear a sermon reflecting the truth of the Holy Ghost not always being a “quick fix”. Christianity isn’t a fairytale where the ugly ogre is suddenly changed into Prince Charming, but about reconnecting with an inner power Source willing to go with you for the “long haul”. Excitement will wane. Most believers’ passion will pass. Tomorrow is really a matter of the next step and who will be there with me in taking it. God gives guarantee. People remain people…….

5 comments:

  1. I find myself nodding my head in agreement with you, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hesitated in posting this, Annie, not wishing to sound negative about zeal and doing the right thing. Just find our message, so often in Pentecost, seemingly suggesting immediate deliverance always accomplished, the only requirement being "faith" on both sides of the event. Problem is: we fail to define "faith" as it really is......

      Delete
  2. Like annie, I hear ya, Jim. You don't sound negative, just realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever think it funny, Mich, that being "realistic" comes down to having a lot of questions? Am about post shortly on the state of the universe, a deep dark hole where my granddaughter has had me spelunking the last few days. That first Rolheiser book, "Holy Longing', started good and then left me when he started down another trail. HIs sequel "Sacred Fire", started off slow, fed me well in the middle, and then drifted somewhere else again. One of the things he talked about in this last one, though, was Mary "pondering" what the angel told her. Pondering, he says, is encouraged by God. I'm hoping that's so, because it is usually where I am throughout most days...

      Delete
  3. Many years ago, I remember asking my Ma if all the songs had already been written. She said that she didn't think so. I couldn't believe all that had already been done and all that still could be done with 12 notes.

    It reminds me of pondering. What path will it follow?

    I never equated being "realistic" to having a lot of questions. That is interesting. Can you sense me pondering that now?

    Btw, hubby bought the "Sacred Fire." Reading in small chunks, up to page 40. So far, I appreciate what he's written about life stages. Yup, feeling it.

    Very much looking forward to reading your latest post but my eye is telling me to take a break so I will definitely come back to it later.


    ReplyDelete